Debian release strategy (Was: Re: XFree86 3.2 is out, should we , delay the release of Debian 1.2)

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> 	I definatly agree we should release at given dates. However 1 month
> is a bit too short I think. But the 1st day of even numbered month would
> be okay.

This brings us on neatly to something I was going to raise anyway ...

There have been many comments over the months about Debian missing release
deadlines; that's obviously a reputation we want to get rid of.

So maybe it's time we formalised the release procedure, and introduced a
definite cycle.  That way we add internal deadlines as a cushion.  If we
have definite rules about these things, and stick to them, there should
be no need to miss these dates.  A fairly long code freeze (say one month)
before each release may be a good idea - we don't want to sacrifice
Debian's reputation for solidity.

The question of how long the cycle should be may be tricky.  I certainly
think one month would be too short - it doesn't allow a long enough code
freeze, and may be too much for users as well as CD manufacturers.  Two
months may be a bit on the short side, too, particularly if we do go with
a one month code freeze ....  So maybe every three months may be about
right.  How would this compare to RH &c?  Bruce, how often do you think
our CD people would be willing to do a new set?

Any thoughts?

Nikhil.

--
Nikhil Nair