Re: FTP reorganisation (was: Re: stability of non-free?)

[I strangely am 10 hours late with the list :-( so sorry if these
arguments has been discussed yet]

Dominik Kubla wrote:

>   /pub/debian-linux/
>       +--- debian-1.1
>       +--- debian-1.2
>       +--- debian-current

Why not   -- debian-beta   so it is clear that is a beta?
'current' seems 'the last good'.

>                +--- alpha

'apx' ?  'alpha' seems 'less than beta'.

>                +--- m68k
>                +--- share

It will be difficult for user know what is 'arch-indipendent' (is this
what you meant?) This stuff should be symlinked in each arch.

>                +--- source
>                +--- sparc
>                +--- x86
>                       +--- install
>                       +--- free-pkgs
>                       +--- non-free-pkgs
>                       +--- contrib-pkgs
>                       +--- crypto-pkgs (just with README)
>                       +--- local-pkgs (just with README file)

why not also            +--- non-US
or maybe this is what you meant with 'crypto' ?

> [...]
> The "debian-current" directory should be restricted to the development
> team, to prohibit the distribution of work in progress.

Development people have access to Incoming, where they (we) can get the
latest bugs :-)

Debugging team is larger, 'cause there is people that has no time do be
active developers but still try (test) and report bugs.
The idea to tell CD people to put no 'unstable' in their CD, can be
considered, anyway.

> Debian servers should be set up for the different global regions:
> [...]
> These sites should have special access to master.debian.org and
> mirror the development tree (which they MUST keep restricted to
> the devel team!) and provide an upload queue for developers in their
> region.

Sounds like an admin nightmare! Passwords and accounts that travels all
the world ...
And also, to be helpful, those sites should be 'big' ftp sites (ala
funet) and I don't think they will accept >100 accounts there!

just my 2 c.

ciao
Fabrizio
| e-mail: fpolacco@megabaud.fi    fpolacco@debian.org         |
| http://megabaud.fi/~fpolacco/   Join the UKI Linux Project! |
| fingerprint 70 1A 72 2D 2B C8 A5 63 7A C2 CC E0 2A 54 AE DA |
| finger: fpolacco@megabaud.fi    fpolacco@master.debian.org  |