Re: paying our bills

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> 1. Make I-Connect the official home of Debian, in such a way that we would
>    state clearly that they are our preferred CD seller. I think this would
>    be good for I-Connect but bad for the project.

Why might this be bad?

> 2. Make an Official Debian CD, sell it, and use the proceeds to pay for
>    services. This may or may not be good for the project. Not having
>    an official CD has not encouraged CD vendors to put copies of Debian
>    on their CDs any more than they have Red Hat, which has an official
>    CD.

You write that this may or may not be good for the project, but how is
it different from #1?  We can just let I-Connect make the "Official"
Debian CD.

>    to give us the services for free in perpetuity take over the task of
>    maintaining the central FTP site.

>    since I hear that Linux International is not getting lots of donations,
>    and the FSF isn't a serious candidate.
>
> 5. Try to pay for services on the donations we get. I'm not sure we'd be
>    able to.

Unfortunately these are all very impractical.

> In the meantime, I think we should watch how we are using
> I-Connect's services. There are a lot of mirrors hitting them
> directly that should be using ftp.debian.org, we should be able to
> reduce the administrative load on them, etc.

Yes, this is doable.  I think a lot of the money they are spending is
on bandwidth.  For starters, ask them to cut anonymous ftp to zero on
that machine.  I've been advocating that for that a long time.  No
user should be getting the distribution there.  The turf notice should
tell them to go to ftp.debian.org.

Second, we should go back to Bruce's additional idea of having several
levels of mirrors.  To mirror master.debian.org, you have to agree to
service other mirrors in your country or locality.  Get a list of
active mirror accounts.

Third, I assume they distinguish between time spent doing tech support
on CDs they sell and time spent doing administrative work on
master.debian.org.  Do they really spend alot of time on the second?
I don't think they spend a lot of money on equipment.  Hard drives are
very cheap.

Should I start buying state lottery tickets?  The pot is about $50e6
right now.

Guy