paying our bills

I just found out what I-Connect is spending on Debian. It's too much, it's
more than they make selling Debian CDs, and I'd like them to cut what they
are spending on Debian way down. I'd also like for Debian to be able to pay
for the services it uses. A while back I tried to form a 501(c)3 corporation
for Debian, and there was too much paperwork and lawyers. I think I'd better
go ahead and form a non-profit corporation with no tax advantages, so that
we can at least take donations.

We have a few alternatives as far as paying for things is concerned.

1. Make I-Connect the official home of Debian, in such a way that we would
   state clearly that they are our preferred CD seller. I think this would
   be good for I-Connect but bad for the project.

2. Make an Official Debian CD, sell it, and use the proceeds to pay for
   services. This may or may not be good for the project. Not having
   an official CD has not encouraged CD vendors to put copies of Debian
   on their CDs any more than they have Red Hat, which has an official
   CD.

   to give us the services for free in perpetuity take over the task of
   maintaining the central FTP site.

   since I hear that Linux International is not getting lots of donations,
   and the FSF isn't a serious candidate.

5. Try to pay for services on the donations we get. I'm not sure we'd be
   able to.

In the meantime, I think we should watch how we are using I-Connect's
services. There are a lot of mirrors hitting them directly that should
be using ftp.debian.org, we should be able to reduce the administrative
load on them, etc.

Discussion, please?

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com