Re: BOARD OF DIRECTORS ELECTION

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996, Philippe Troin wrote:

> I tend to agree with Dale on this. What I like in Debian is the idea
> that everyone cooperates, not obeys. Our project leader is just here
> to make decisions when decisions have to be made. But this BoD make
> me feel like belonging to a corporation, hence destructing this
> cooperation thing.
>
> Furthermore, I don't think that the BoD will solve any of the problems
> we've encountered.

Yes, I agree.

My experiences with groups of all sorts leads me to believe that too
much democracy is a bad thing for group effectiveness. As soon as
politics and voting gets involved, your project's real Aims & Objectives
become secondary to the group's internal political processes.

IMO, small to medium sized groups with specific goals function best if
run as a "benevolent dictatorship", with ONE (strongly preferred) or at
most two or three people with the responsibility & the authority to make
the big decisions which cant or wont be made by the rest of the group.

And that is pretty close to what we've had in debian for the last year
or so - a team of self-organising participants with autonomy in their
own areas, voluntarily accepting overriding decisions from the project
leader.

In other words, even with the few occasional problems we've had, the
current structure for debian is better than any of the alternatives. It
works, so don't fix it.

The only problem now, if Bruce does wish to resign his position, is:
where are we going to find someone as competent who is both willing and
able to put in as much time & dedication to the project as Bruce has.

> And finally, I think that Bruce has done an outstanding job. Please
> reconsider your decision.

ditto

Craig