Re: Debian testing organization: a proposal (long)

Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> This is where users, like myself, are having problems... users like
> myself, that don't have the *popular* graphics systems (8 or 16 bits).
> If it was conformant to the standard, it shouldn't matter to the
> application what graphics I'm using, only that it is running in an
> X Windows environment.

Standard X windows programs have the (legitimate) option of supporting
some visuals and not others.

Are you being sarcastic?

I'm sorry that netscape doesn't work on your hardware.  A little more
effort on their part, would have allowed netscape to run on a small
number more machines, it is true.  This is not anywhere near sufficient
to justify condemnation of netscape, however.

In fact, I'd guess most of the people bashing netscape don't really care
about which visuals it supports.

> >Netscape on linux counts in the survey's talling MSIE vs. netscape
> >users, because the surveys just inspect information returned by the
> >browser to the server; this is one time polls aren't slanted against
> >linux for being non-commercial.
> If this is the case... then it shouldn´t be a problem to get Netscape
> to support GNU/Linux.  At the moment, they don't... it says so clearly
> in their distributions sites, that the distribution for GNU/Linux is
> _not_ supported.  This is most likely because so many users at this
> end, are running hardware that are _low_ end graphics, which they
> don't want to spend time with (this is my guess)... which sounds very
> much like an M$ application to me.

They don't officially support linux, but they support linux a whole lot
more than microsoft does.

Do you understand that if you kill off netscape, MS is going to rush in
and fill that void, gleefully?  Do you understand how incredibly much
more linux-friendly netscape is than MS?

Right new, the web is a huge chunk of computing future.  MS is one of
the last companies we should to put in that sweet spot.  netscape ain't
perfect, but they're worlds better than MS.