Re: Debian testing organization: netscape

Orn E. Hansen wrote:
> ... which sounds very much like an M$ application to me.

I think you're absolutely wrong here.

Marc Andreessen wrote[1] the X interface of Mosaic, a Free software!
Later he sees the possibility of the Web and jumped on the right wave at
the right moment. He made his own affairs. We can't blaime him for that.

Netscape was present with a Linux free port (in binary) from the very
first moment (as I remember) even when Linux hadn't yet any
advertisement. I'm sure Andreessen knows exactly what Linux is an the
fact that he is not supporting Linux is only a partial truth, a lie said
only to avoid problems to his company.

In facts Netscape is supporting Linux, because there are employees whose
job is to work on Linux port. As far as I know they even correct bugs,
if you submit them. They don't promise that they will do this, they say
that they don't do this, but they are doing this.
Obviously this support is only a small percent of the support given to
Windows paying users, but we know that Windows is more used than Linux.

I've heard that Microsoft promised that "in the future" they "maybe"
will support Explorer for Linux. But they have done NOTHING and I don't
think they will ever do nothing.

Microsoft is promising what they don't want to support, while Netscape
is doing what they can't promise to support.

Don't you notice the subtle difference?

About the fact that Netscape doesn't work on your hardware ... well,
even Mosaic or Arena doesn't work with svgalib ... and then?
You can't do everything. None can.

Fabrizio
--
[1] You can check http://home.netscape.com/comprod/exec_team.html if
    you want to know who the hell is Marc Andreessen.