All the deb-make noise

I am beginning to believe that the ongoing discussion of deb-make
vs. vaporware is taking on all the value of discussing dselect vs
vaporware.  I believe that the general decision on the later (dselect
vs. vaporware) was that until somebody makes something better, dselect
is what people are stuck with using.  People have come up with tons
of ideas, and ambitious newbies always volunteer to make a better dselect,
and nothing has ever come of it.  Now, nobody even will discuss dselect,
and everybody assumes it is somebody else's problem.

I use deb-make (I just remove the call to debstd), because it does indeed
help accompllish a task I want done.  There are deficiencies (I am not
very fond of how it generates multi-binary packages); however, it
is better than the alternative, which is currently doing everything by hand.
Please, Ian (you seem to be the primary opponent to deb-make), either
help support deb-make and correct its deficiencies, or writh a replacement
ASAP.  In the meanwhile, please, let us end this thread.  We, the developers of
debian will use the tools available, until better tools come along.

Ian, please stop fighting a verbal battle.  Either fight this battle
with new code (a deb-make replacement), with patches to deb-make, or
silence.  Endless debate over vaporware will prove, and accomplish nothing.

I neither agree or disagree with either side in this issue.  I am, as
always, happy to receive better tools (I do not care what they happen
to be named).

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen        Web:    http://www.et.byu.edu/~andersee/