Re: All the deb-make noise

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Erik B. Andersen wrote:

> Ian, please stop fighting a verbal battle.  Either fight this battle
> with new code (a deb-make replacement), with patches to deb-make, or
> silence.  Endless debate over vaporware will prove, and accomplish nothing.

I support Ian's position on this issue and disagree that this is a battle,
or that extended debate will accomplish nothing. It has been my position
that the problems we are beginning to run into with deb-make are the
result of insufficient discussion of the subject coupled with inadequate
education of new maintainers on the package standards. Many of the
"problems" with the package standard stem from missunderstandings of what
is expected by the maintainer when building packages and not from any
defficiency in the standard.

What you percieve as "endless debate" is what I percieve as necessary
design discussion. All software is vaporware during the design phase,
however it is this phase of software development that determins the
overall success or failure of the final product, making this the most
important phase of the development process. When this step is done right
the code writes itself.

> I neither agree or disagree with either side in this issue.  I am, as
> always, happy to receive better tools (I do not care what they happen
> to be named).

As much as we may need "better tools", we need to make sure that they are
universaly useful. This is not an easy target to hit, specially when
everyone has different ideas of what they want in those tools. There are
folks in this group that like deb-make for what it does, and others like
myself who have no desire for such hand holding. It is this aspect of the
problem that causes difficulties with such products, as their use by some
tends to cause unnecessary problems for others who don't use them.

I feel much more comfortable having Ian controling this design effort than
any other person in the group. It is Ian who has been intermental in the
developement of the package system we now have, and I trust him to add
capabilities in a careful manner that is less likely to result in broken
product.

Our responsibility in this effort is to point out to Ian the areas of
difficulty we have discovered within our various packages, rather than
whine about having to put certain things in certain places.

Remember, that our goal is to produce a distribution that works under the
broadest possible conditions. We can do this best by working as a team
rather than dividing up into factions and working to maintain our various
territory. Personalities are going to continue to be a problem, but we can
get past these problems if we stay focussed on the goal.

Luck,

Dwarf