Dont go on rpm...

On Thu, 20 Feb 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> We should be asking orselves if "dpkg" is Debian. We have a good
> distribution, and changing package managers will not change that.
> We will have to give up a few of our present goals - for example
> we should be distributing the system as a suite of packages that all
> work with each other and are upgraded all at once, rather than upgrading
> a piece here and a piece there while we cross our fingers and hope the
> dependencies are right. That's the main thing we sacrafice in giving
> up dpkg. However, we give up a lot of headaches at the same time.

dpkg is not the problem here. In fact, I think it can be more part of the
solution than switching to redhat. I don't want to repeat my previous
proposition on this subject (upgrade in one time, seperating unstable
from the upcoming release and having a broadtest distribution in marge of
the *incoming* aka unstable distribution) but dpkg are able to do it.
More than that, adopting rpm will mean dealing with some of the rpm
package not entirely compatible with debian... Having to change from a
redhat to a debian system recently, I can say that's can lead to some new
problems and I don't think the RedHat team will cooperate that's much
about this.