on project leadership

I'm somewhat calmed down from yesterday. I really let loose, sorry.
It's not really like me, it's something I've avoided in general and
not exhibited here in three years, but I think anyone has their limits,
and mine have been exceeded.

I think Michael's analysis is pretty accurate. It became clear quite
some time ago that I wasn't being supported in even the smallest and
most trivial matters. I attempted to create a board of directors to
help with that, but the board has not been successful. Ian Murdock
feels he's not been forceful enough as chairman, but it's not only his
problem. It's mostly that every member has their idea of how things
should be done, and few of them are willing to give much on their
positions. We can't really run an organization that way.

I don't know at this point if I should leave things in charge of the
board or attempt to bull through my current annoyance and get everybody
moving in one direction again. I'd feel more confident if I felt the
board was ready for the job. While they are sincere people and good
programmers, as a board they haven't shown much capability for
leadership yet. This has left me holding all of the strings for much
too long now. Maybe they'll take this is a cue to get their act together.

Look, guys, this organization isn't going to work the way it is now.
Even if it can't ever be run like a business, it should at least be run
like a volunteer organization. Right now, it's more like herding cats.

	Bruce

Michael Meskes:

--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502