Re: RFD: herding cats [was: on project leadership]

srivasta@datasync.com (Manoj Srivastava)  wrote on 03.03.97 in <87rahx0yio.fsf@tiamat.datasync.com>:

>  3) I, for one, have to take special action to enable reciept of
>     mailing lists (any new ones would be junked by my mail software; I
>     could change that, but that has other problems).

And I want to have every mailing list go to a different address
(kai-<listname>).

However, there may be cheaper ways to achieve our goal.

debian-devel is labouring under a problem very similar to news.groups -
too many people discussing different topics, all gets mixed up, you lose
track of things.

Maybe we could use a solution similar to that discussed for news.groups.

That is, use tags.

I don't know if we really need to enforce them (the RFC-in-coming for
news.groups switches it to moderated), as we don't have the news.groups
problem of a huge influx of new participants (and a serious amount of
malicious people, too). Simply telling people how to do it might actually
work.

The basic idea is that, for any topic, you have a tag. This tag will be
the beginning of your subject line (after a possible "Re: "). The rest of
the subject line is used as usual.

With this proposal, the current thread (RFD: herding cats) would go under
the same tag as the previous (on project leadership), as they're really
about the same topic.

We would probably want to decide on some set of standard tags, and then
create new ones as we get to new topics.

MfG Kai