Re: RFD: herding cats [was: on project leadership]

Hi,

	This is quite complicated. And probably would not solve the
 problem of the discussion never coming to fruition.

 1) Who decides when a thread should become a mailing list?
 2) I don't quite like the idea of adding me to mailing lists on a
    routine basis, and putting the burden of unsubscribing on to
    *every* developer.
 3) I, for one, have to take special action to enable reciept of
    mailing lists (any new ones would be junked by my mail software; I
    could change that, but that has other problems).
 4) I probably won't read read only lists; If I can't contribute, why
    bother?
 5) Often, peoples contributions are not part of a pre-planned grand
    scheme focussing their talents, some times, things strike a chord,
    and you put in your piece, make contributing harder and you loose
    the spontaneity
 6) Why are we setting a limit on the number of lists one can belong
    to? what problem does this solve? have you noticed any problems
    with people not being focussed?
 7) Who does summaries in these lists anyway?
 8) Who decides competence? Seniority? So, if Linus joined us, being a
    new member he would have to be excluded from the ``super duper
    secret senior lists''?
 9) 100 million lemming *can* be wrong -- voting is perhaps not the
    best paradigm in a technical discussion. (I definitely would not
    want to give the unwashed masses FIAT power).
10) This is too draconian a regime, and may well mitigate against
    motivation to participate in the project.

	I hope we can solve the problem of ``leadership'' -- which we
 don't need as much as we do moderators -- by something which has less
 bureaucracy and restrictions. No offence meant.

	manoj
--
 "Card readers?  We don't need no stinking card readers." Peter da
 Silva (at the National Academy of Sciences, 1965, in a particularly