Re: source packages and upstream source

Hi,

	I think one of my messages to this list went missing. The
 point I was making was, it is impossible to automate downloading a
 source and creating diffs from it (It may be possible to script it,
 or wrie a shell script to do so, however).

	Consider: (this actually happened). The upstream source for
 angband was distribued from something like:
	 /pub/angbans/Source/win32fix.tar.gz
 and it unpacked into the *current directory*. (./README,
 ./Src/angband.c, ./lib/help/help.txt, etc).

	Some name-ver.tar.gz (where they _do_ exists under that name)
 files unpack into Name/ some into name/ and yet others into
 name-ver/. There appears to be little consistency in upstream
 packaging convention, so it is not a simple matter for us to create a
 policy handling these cases.

	Given that some upstream sources are badly behaved, I do not
 think we can do any better than repackage it so our tools can deal
 with it if we still want automated handling (auto ceate diffs, for
 example)

	I proposed that debian sources be created in
 name-version.debian, since this directory is unlikely to confict with
 the upstream choice, if ever we want to unpack the upstream surces
 (or if dpkg-source wanted to, in order to create diffs). If we
 continue with our current choice, then unpacking the upstream sources
 clobbers any changes in the debian tree. Please ignore this if there
 are easier ways to handle diffs and looking at upstream source
 (like unpacking in a temporary subdirectory), but there seems to be
 some risk involved (developers not remembering that they need to
 unpack ina subdir).

	manoj

--
 jasona@sugar.hackercorp.com (Jason Asbahr) writes: Really?  What
 about the price of supercomputers these days? (Or any day...)  What