Re: source packages and upstream source

>	Some name-ver.tar.gz (where they _do_ exists under that name)
>  files unpack into Name/ some into name/ and yet others into

Ahh, you're talking about names, I'm talking about contents.  I don't
care what the tgz file is *called*, on the upstream site or on our
site.  Any package that conforms to the Gnu Coding Standards, however,
is going to have the *content* right.  Given that there is a *large*
class of tar files out there that do *exactly* this, we should be able
to *avoid* repackaging them, instead of repackaging everything.

As I said before:
	an upstream foo.tgz will *never* contain name-ver.orig/
	it might contain name-ver/ and we should be able to just use it if so
	it might contain name/; that's not as important, I've seen
maintainers get talked into changing it to use name-ver/ :-)
	anything else we can repackage.

You say:
>	Given that some upstream sources are badly behaved, I do not
> think we can do any better than repackage it so our tools can deal

I counter that we *only* need to repackage the *badly behaved*
sources.  Do you disagree with that?  I define the GCS packaging
(name-ver/ in the file) as "well behaved", and can point to lots of
packages that do use it... again, for *content* not for *name*...

File: standards.info,  Node: Releases,  Prev: Makefile Conventions,  Up: Managing Releases

Making Releases

   Package the distribution of Foo version 69.96 in a gzipped tar file
named `foo-69.96.tar.gz'.  It should unpack into a subdirectory named
`foo-69.96'.