my agenda for going on with the project

The consensus so far seems to be "you can't listen to everyone". I think
one of my problems may be that I find it difficult to ignore the strident
voices.

I made one very serious mistake in that I replaced developer consensus with
consensus of the board of directors. That was really stupid and I'm not going
to do it any longer. This is part of the reason that a more democratic
organization was perceived as less democratic.

I will continue with plans to incorporate as a non-profit. FSF does this
with Stallman and a board of 3 other people, not elected by any sort of
membership as far as I can tell. A lot of people say the Debian board was
a mistake, but you need some sort of board for a corporation even if it
is not a publicly-elected one. I'd like to hear comments on this issue.

I have no problem with the presence of various people on the project,
whether they agree with me or not. I do have problems with all of the
crucial resources being where one party can control them. Thus I have
taken more steps to decentralize resources. I filed a domain change
form to make Tim Sailer the technical contact for our DNS, and to make
buoy.com the DNS master. This was formerly managed at I-Connect. I didn't
ask anyone before I did that, and this will no doubt inflame some people.
I will continue to set up a backup for master.debian.org, because I
think it's necessary. I do not presently plan to move the master system
from I-Connect unless I-Connect asks me to do so. Having one function
under their roof rather than three seems like a good balance. If the master
server ever moved to Novare, it would be prudent to move the lists elsewhere
and avoid a repetition of this situation.

I still think the people who want a more democratic project should have
the right to start one, and as much assistance as they can get from us.
However, for now I will assume that nobody is leaving the Debian organization
until they tell me they are leaving.

I think it's possible to get the maintainer count over 200 if we
compartmentalize, but it's not possible to run on consensus of more than
200 people. The most likely solution is more representative government, or
limiting the size of membership, neither of which appeals to me. I'd like
to hear suggestions on that issue.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.