Re: prototype questions for developer vote

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> Sue has offered to put some time into vote-collection - we could do
> this on a web page if necessary.

OK, assuming that some sort of tool for tracking concensus is a good
idea (which is obviously still an issue for debate), here's some
things I've been thinking about:

(Again, I think this system should only be designed as an advisory
system, and would be most useful in the final stages of discussion of
an issue.  If nothing else it prevents the necessity of a flood of "me
toos" to ascertain what people think.)

1) A nice system could be constructed using the same framework as the
bug tracking system.  The control interface would be email, and
status info could be provided with a web interface.

2) For a simple interface, you could have commands like this:
   submit (subject and body) -- creates a new issue for vote
   status issue# -- reports voter tallies, etc.
   position issue# position (positions are: agree, disagree, no-response,
     and undecided) -- register your vote
   describe issue# -- get a description of an issue

3) Should the voting be anonymous?  I'd say not.  Any claim of
anonymity will only be providing a sense of false security since who
said what will have to be recorded somewhere to make sure we get one
vote per person.  If it's not anonymous, for those who can, it would
be nice to support PGP sigs.  (For votes for office in the project (as
opposed to policy votes), we may want a different interface which is
more anonymous.)

4) You should be able to change your mind as often as you like.

Thanks
--
Rob