prototype questions for developer vote

These are my prototype questions for a survey (vote on a number of
questions) of all developers. I think this is necessary to establish
a mandate.

Please do not reply to the questions yet, DO NOT VOTE YET, but suggest
additional questions. I will post the final survey and call for votes
this evening. Sue has offered to put some time into vote-collection -
we could do this on a web page if necessary. Does Lynx do check-boxes?

1.  A. I prefer the "benevolent dictatorship" form of organization to a
       board of directors or a senate of all developers.

    B. I prefer an elected board of directors who make all major
       decisions for the project rather than a benevolent dictatorship
       or a senate.

    C. I prefer a senate of all developers who make all major
       decisions by vote, rather than a benevolent dictatorship or a
       board of directors.

2.  A. Officers should be appointed by the project leader.

    B. Officers should be elected by the developers.

    C. Officers should be elected by the board of directors.

    D. There should be no officers, just people who volunteer to do
       tasks for a short time.

3.  A. The project leader should be elected directly by the developers.

    B. The project leader should be appointed by the board of directors.

    C. The project leader should appoint his/her own successor.

    D. There should be no project leader.

4.  A. The project needs to incorporate as a non-profit organization.

    B. The project needs to remain an informal organization, not a
       non-profit corporation.

    C. The project should be controlled by a consortium of paid board
       members, like the consortia of X/Open or Linux International.

    D. We should go commercial and make all of the developers stockholders.

5.  A. Bruce Perens should resign as project leader immediately.

    B. Bruce Perens should continue to lead the project during 1997.

6.  A. Daniel Quinlan and Brian White should resign as vice presidents
       immediately.

    B. Daniel Quinlan and Brian White should continue in their roles during
       1997.

7.  A. The project should not be allowed to grow much over 200 developers.

    B. The project should be allowed to grow to any number of developers.

8.  A. The project should consist of a core group of about 25 people, and
       a much larger group who develop non-essential packages.

    B. There should be no core group.

9.  A. The project should retain its dedication to free software only in
       the "core" part of Debian.

    B. The project should concentrate on having as many programs as
       possible in the "core" part of Debian, even if it means accepting
       non-free software that we sign a contract to distribute.

--
Bruce Perens K6BP   Bruce@Pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.Debian.org for PGP public key.