Re: Depending on the outcome of the vote...

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens)  wrote on 28.03.97 in <m0wAfc1-00Idf6C@golem.pixar.com>:

> Are you willing to continue to work with the group even if their
> sentiment in a democratic vote goes against yours?

I'm not Joey (I guess nobody is surprised by this statement, huh?).

But since I don't know what the vote will show, it could just as easily go
against what I want. Things like that have happened in the past.

In such a case, I usually first sleep over it, sometimes more than once.
Then I often go back to business as usual - except if I believe that the
whole stuff is running in a direction that I seriously don't want to go.
In which case, I leave.

However, there has to be a fairly serious problem for me to do that.

I expect most other people will do the same. (I do recommend the "sleep
over it" part, though. It really helps. Otherwise, you're bound to be
sorry.)

My guess is, as long as Debian maintains something like the original goals
- and I don't expect that to change - and if the project finds a way to
calm down politically, in whatever direction - then most developers will
probably stay. Even if it's only because they have already invested so
much work.

Some of the louder voices may, indeed, "leave in a huff". That's because
people that leave in a huff, are often the same people that have the
loudest voices.

And no, I'm not pointing at specific people here. I'm not that good at
judging people. I'll see who does what.

Feel free to ignore me. I'm certainly not essential to the project.

MfG Kai