Re: The FREE Debian phone support hotline.

On Apr 23, Karl Ferguson wrote

> A Debian 'user' called my office at 9am this morning (of which I wasn't
> here at the time) from the east coast of Australia (we're on the west).  He
> spoke to one of our sales staff who couldn't get head nor tail of what he
> was on about.  He was told to ring back later and apeak to me (I knew
> nothing of the above until I actually spoke to him on the 2nd call).
>
> Anyway, I was busilly working away and he rang.  Then he suddenly started
> talking about Debian Linux and how he couldn't get dselect to work and
> rambled on about his other problems.  I immediately asked him what made him
> call us and he said that we owned the debian.org.au domain in Australia and
> I had my phone number listed (a contact number must be listed).  He
> naturally thought we were the hotline and could help with all his problems
> over the phone for free.

And the moral is: Dont' own a domain if you don't want to work with
it. :-)

> I told him that Debian doesn't have any 'helpdesk' as such and that if he
> wanted any support to RT(F)M and/or ask in the debian-user mailing list - I
> was working solid so I didn't have time for any of that.

Wasn't a helpdesk invented with Dale Sheetz as the consultant?
I seem to remember that we weren't very clear about its usefullness,
but as there exist hotlines for other distributions we should have
one, too.

> I'm wondering if anyone else is getting this type of thing happening to
> them, while I don't mind replying via email and helping out that way, but
> disturbing me at work is a _bad_ thing :-)  Can we point out in Debian
> documentation - perhaps a "Support" section that we DONT offer support via
> this method (as yet)?.

Gee how much of such calls do you get?  I'm noted on a german supporters
list for Linux and I'm getting only approx. 1 call per month - sometimes
more, but this year there was no call.

Regards... Joey

--
  / Martin Schulze * Debian GNU/Linux Developer * joey@debian.org /