Re: Keysigning at Linux congress in Wuerzburg

Having heard nothing from the congress organisers, it looks like we're going
to have to do it ourselfs.

Date: thursday (first day)
Time: 4.30 p.m. (birds of a feather session time)
Place: ?

On May 5, J.H.M.Dassen wrote
> As for how it'll work, here's a proposition (mind you, I've never organised
> anything like this before, so please comment on possible holes); for
> security reasons, it will be "off-line" signing (thus not requiring you to
> bring/find a trusted system).
>
> - BEFORE the congress, make sure an up to date version of your public key
>   is available in the developer's keyring and the regular PGP servers.
>   Make sure that
>   - it is self-signed.
>   - it includes your debian.org email address if you use that to sign
>     packages.
> - to the congress, take with you
>   - government-issued ID (must have full name and photograph), e.g.
>     passport or driver´s license. [*]
>   - a suffient number (10?) of printouts containing
>     - your full name or net.identity
>     - your preferred email address
>     - your PGP key fingerprint with all the userids you use (esp. the
>       debian.org one if you use it).
>     - your full PGP public key (ASCII-armored).
>     - (optionally) your photograph
> - at, or after the congress,
>   - sign the keys you've verified, and mail them (ASCII-armored) to their
>     owner.
>   - after receiving the expected signatures, mail you updated key to Igor
>     for the developer's keyring, and to the regular PGP servers.

I've asked Theodore Ts'o about his setup:

|Hi there, here's the procedure that I normally follow, in the form of
|the e-mail notice which I typically mail out a few weeks in advance of
|the IETF meeting.  I've cc'ed this mesage to the Kongress organizers, to
|see if they would be willing to schedule a key signing session.
|
|It really is somethign which has to be planned in advance, since the
|attendees need to send in their PGP public keys in advance.

This is not a problem for us; Igor has an up-to-date keyring.

|Hopefully
|we can get a e-mail message out to everyone who has registered for the
|Kongress so that they can have a chance to participate if they choose.

|To: IETF-Announce:;@ietf.org
|Subject: IETF PGP Key Signing Party announcement

|Once again, we will be holding a PGP Key signing party at the IETF
|meeting in Memphis.  We have been scheduled to meet at 2230 (10:30pm) on
|the evening of Wednesday, April 9, 1997, in the Lansdown room. The
|procedure we will use is the following:
|
|o People who wish to participate should email an ASCII extract of their
|  PGP public key to <tytso@mit.edu> by 6:00pm on Wednesday of the week
|  of the IETF meeting. Please include a subject line of "IETF PGP
|  KEY".  (The ASCII key extract can be gereated using pgp -kxa)
|
|  Sending your key to me before the IETF meeting is appreciated, since
|  it reduces the number of keys that I have to collect during the
|  meeting. (In fact, why don't you send me your key right now if you
|  know will be attending, so you won't forget?)
|
|o By 10pm on Wednesday, you will be able to ftp a complete key ring
|  from tsx-11.mit.edu with all of the keys that were submitted; it will
|  be in the file /pub/tytso/ietf.asc and /pub/tytso/ietf.pgp.

Our debian-keyring covers this.

|o At 10:30pm, come prepared with the PGP Key fingerprint of your PGP
|  public key; we will have handouts with all of the key fingerprints of
|  the keys that people have mailed in.

I will provide these.

|o In turn, readers at the front of the room will recite people's keys;
|  as your key fingerprint is read, stand up, and at the end of reading
|  of your PGP key fingerprint, acknowledge that the fingerprint as read
|  was correct.
|
|o Later that evening, or perhaps when you get home, you can sign the
|  keys corresponding to the fingerprints which you were able to verify
|  on the handout; note that it is advisable that you only sign keys of
|  people when you have personal knowledge that the person who stood up
|  during the reading of his/her fingerprint really is the person which
|  he/she claimed to be.

In our case, we'll have passports to claim identity.

|o Submit the keys you have signed to the PGP keyservers. A good one to
|  use is the one at MIT: simply send mail containing the ascii armored
|  version of your PGP public key to <pgp@pgp.mit.edu>.
|
|Note that you don't have to have a laptop with you; if you don't have
|any locally trusted computing resources during the key signing party,
|you can make notes on the handout, and then take the handout home and
|sign the keys later.

I'll be off the net from Friday onwards; please send any comments before
then.

Greetings,
Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would