Re: how did this happen?

> Should there be a more formal process for pleading to have a package
> changed in frozen?  If my upgrade were refused, would I be informed?

Just uploading a fixed package to Incoming with a distribution of
"frozen unstable" and "urgency=high", along with changes information
that states exactly why it is so urgent is a good start.

It then becomes a tradeoff question.  Any new code outside of the bugfix
(and the bugfix itself to some degree) make it possible to introduce new
bugs.  In addition, there is often new code added that was simply forgotten
about.  This has caused no end of problems in the past.  In fact, I
suspect some people have deliberately avoided mentioning some changes
just so it would get accepted.

In this case, if /bin/perl still worked with the perl in Bo, then I'd
be reluctant to let it in at any time during the frozen cycle and would
definitely not let it in once it had reached pre-release.  It's simply
not that important.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )