Re: The "free" debate (again) <sigh>

On Jun 12, Bruce Perens wrote
> > The point here is to make the largest amount of
> > software available to the greatest number of people.
>
> The point of Debian is NOT to make the largest amount of free software
> available to the greatest amount of people. That might be what you want
> the point to be, Brian, but that is not Debian's mission.
>
> We are trying to make a system that anyone can use, modify, and derive
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
implicit that not a big system? Programms for anyone? And i think debian is
at the current state a big system - and it will be bigger and bigger .... !?!?

And i agree with Linus: there must be wonderfull and great applications
existable for linux and so also for debian.

But when we are so big: what about a 'base'-system? Or for installation a three
level-system:

1. minimal (~100 MB) (with net, without X11) (client-system???)
2. normal  (~300 MB) (net, X11, ...)         (server-system???)
3. maximal (~1.5 GB) ........

any hints ....

Greetings,

               Hartmut

--
 Hartmut Koptein                                       EMail:
 Friedrich-van-Senden-Str. 7                           koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de