Re: The "free" debate (again) <sigh>

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> > The point here is to make the largest amount of
> > software available to the greatest number of people.
>
> The point of Debian is NOT to make the largest amount of free software
> available to the greatest amount of people. That might be what you want
> the point to be, Brian, but that is not Debian's mission.
>
> We are trying to make a system that anyone can use, modify, and derive
> from. These are two very different goals.

Agreed.

An addition:

Some Debian users have to use software that is only available under a
licence that is not acceptable for Debian. This software might be
distributed in the non-free and contrib section, in this case it is
distributed together with Debian (via ftp). We also encourage other
Debian distributors to include this on their distribution medium;
however sometimes the program's licence forbids this.

So we listen to the users, and we give them a chance to install
non-free software easily. We support cooperation between people who
have to use this non-free software, and we even provide infrastructure
(bug-tracking system, mailing lists) for this.

So we help people to make as much software as possible available for
Debian users.

	Sven
--
Sven Rudolph <sr1@inf.tu-dresden.de> ; WWW : http://www.sax.de/~sr1/