Re: Vitamin D

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I have a name for your project - "Vitamin D". It's a Debian supplement!

Thanks. :-)

> From: Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
> > Then we should probably divide this into 2 seperate trees. One would be
> > contrib, and the other would be non-debian, or something like that.
>
> If I understand correctly, you would be distributing:
>
> 1. contrib from Debian's FTP archive.
> 2. parts of non-free from Debian's FTP archive.
> 3. things that are not in Debian's FTP archive at all.
>
> > I'm wary of distributing things not part of debian at all, even under
> > contract, mostly because I just wanted this to be extra software that
> > debian "unofficialy" distributs already, and mostly because I don't want
> > to get in any type of legal trouble, i.e. Their's a reason why we can't
> > distribute it even in non-free.
>
> Well, your legal risk is somewhat increased when you start distributing
> stuff in non-free - read those licenses _carefully_. You also have to make
> sure that you have _no_warranties_. Say someone gets a cease-and-desist
> order on a CD manufacturer to keep them from distributing something on the
> CD. The CD manufacturer is damaged because of a decision you made. Do they
> turn around and sue you for the cost of 1000 unusable CDs, their legal
> costs, lost trade, etc.? This is even a risk with the main distribution.
> We formed a corporation to help protect volunteers from risk, but I still
> have some amount of legal liability as a director and operating officer.

If any sort of doubt, ask the author should probably be the motto.  And if
we can't contact the author, don't include it.

> I don't see it as a bad idea for you to sign contracts and distribute
> software under those contracts, though. There are some important programs
> that you could distribute like gated. Just be real careful that you are
> following the letter of the contract.

The only thing I see with that is, that this could lead to it becoming its
own distribution, and I have 2 problems with that.  I don't like "break
offs", I like debian, I don't want to create another dist.  And 2) who's
supposed to sign it, it risky having a bunch of different people sign it,
especially if they are doing it for themselves.  If Debian was going to
sign something, it be for SPI, which is a real live orginization.  what I
was proposing was just a group to create "Vitamin D"

Shaya