Vitamin D

I have a name for your project - "Vitamin D". It's a Debian supplement!

From: Shaya Potter <spotter@itd.nrl.navy.mil>
> Then we should probably divide this into 2 seperate trees. One would be
> contrib, and the other would be non-debian, or something like that.

If I understand correctly, you would be distributing:

1. contrib from Debian's FTP archive.
2. parts of non-free from Debian's FTP archive.
3. things that are not in Debian's FTP archive at all.

> I'm wary of distributing things not part of debian at all, even under
> contract, mostly because I just wanted this to be extra software that
> debian "unofficialy" distributs already, and mostly because I don't want
> to get in any type of legal trouble, i.e. Their's a reason why we can't
> distribute it even in non-free.

Well, your legal risk is somewhat increased when you start distributing
stuff in non-free - read those licenses _carefully_. You also have to make
sure that you have _no_warranties_. Say someone gets a cease-and-desist
order on a CD manufacturer to keep them from distributing something on the
CD. The CD manufacturer is damaged because of a decision you made. Do they
turn around and sue you for the cost of 1000 unusable CDs, their legal
costs, lost trade, etc.? This is even a risk with the main distribution.
We formed a corporation to help protect volunteers from risk, but I still
have some amount of legal liability as a director and operating officer.

I don't see it as a bad idea for you to sign contracts and distribute
software under those contracts, though. There are some important programs
that you could distribute like gated. Just be real careful that you are
following the letter of the contract.

	Thanks

Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@pixar.com   510-215-3502
Finger bruce@master.debian.org for PGP public key.