Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:

> 1) export restricted (regardless of DFSG-complience, etc) - non-us/
> 2) DFSG-compliant, consistent - main/
> 3) DFSG-compliant, depend on non-DFSG-compliant
> 4) non-DFSG-compliant, freely distributable
> 5) non-DFSG-compliant, not freely distributable
>
> Wouldn't it be more logical instead of voting on where to draw
> contrib/non-free line (between 3 and 4 OR 4 and 5) just create one more
> directory?

Good question.

First, the distinction between 4 and 5 is very fuzzy.  Freely
distributable by whom?  To whom?  On what media?  As we saw when
writing the DFSG, it is very difficult to come up with a precise
definition of what free is.

Whether we continue with the status quo, placing the contrib/non-free
division between #4 and #5, or whether we invent an additional
category for #4, we will have to agree on a definition of "freely
distributable".

Second, any definition we arrive at will by necessity be arbitrary,
and there will be further lobbying for more levels of freedom -
sorta-free, kinda-free, mostly-free.  We should promote software
freedom as being akin to pregnancy - all or nothing.

Finally, one of our goals is to promote free software.  Having
secondary degrees of freedom weakens our stance.

Guy