Re: summary of non-free/contrib policy

On 28 Jul 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:
>
> > 1) export restricted (regardless of DFSG-complience, etc) - non-us/
> > 2) DFSG-compliant, consistent - main/
> > 3) DFSG-compliant, depend on non-DFSG-compliant
> > 4) non-DFSG-compliant, freely distributable
> > 5) non-DFSG-compliant, not freely distributable
> >
> > Wouldn't it be more logical instead of voting on where to draw
> > contrib/non-free line (between 3 and 4 OR 4 and 5) just create one more
> > directory?
>
> Good question.
>
> First, the distinction between 4 and 5 is very fuzzy.  Freely
> distributable by whom?  To whom?  On what media?  As we saw when
> writing the DFSG, it is very difficult to come up with a precise
> definition of what free is.
>
> Whether we continue with the status quo, placing the contrib/non-free
> division between #4 and #5, or whether we invent an additional
> category for #4, we will have to agree on a definition of "freely
> distributable".
>
> Second, any definition we arrive at will by necessity be arbitrary,
> and there will be further lobbying for more levels of freedom -
> sorta-free, kinda-free, mostly-free.  We should promote software
> freedom as being akin to pregnancy - all or nothing.
>
> Finally, one of our goals is to promote free software.  Having
> secondary degrees of freedom weakens our stance.

Absolutely agreed.

Now, let's do some statistics: (Note, the numbers are based on the list I
posted yesterday. I didn't spend much time on individual
copyrights/licenses, so these numbers might vary slightly. Also note,
that `related packages' have been counted only once.)

     total numer of packages in contrib:       42
                         DFSG compliant:       25
                     not DFSG compliant:       15
                        unknown license:        2

If we apply _current_ policy to this, we would get:

    packages to be removed (no license):        2
     packages to be moved to "non-free":        9

With the result:

     total numer of packages in contrib:       31
                         DFSG compliant:       25
                     not DFSG compliant:        6

If we'd change policy so that "contrib" packages would have to apply to
DFSG too, we'd only have to move 6 packages to non-free, which are
currently in contrib, that is 19%. This is acceptable to me, since the new
policy will make life a lot easier for everyone.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/