Re: There are _TWO_ discussions here

> On 29 Jul 1997, Guy Maor wrote:
>
> > Alex Yukhimets <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:
> >
> > > Namely, will the DFSG-compliant contrib be included into the
> > > Official CD?
> >
> > Bruce has not explicitly said that, but I expect he will.  The whole
> > basis for the contrib removal was because that software was not
> > DFSG-free.
>
> Right. It would be good if Bruce would tell us what he thinks about this.
>
> But even if he says "no", we should probably not merge "non-free" and
> "contrib". Note, that this was initially my suggestion, but some people
> here have pointed out that this seperation is still useful for others CD
> manufacturers, for example the "Vitamin D" project.

Not the point. As we recently found out, having package in contrib didn't
really mean that it was freely distributable :(
I have to go through all the copyrights of _both_ contrib and non-free
to select packages for Vitamin-D "Contrib-CD" anyway.

> > > Will it be considered as part of the Debian?
>
> What do you mean "as part of Debian"? I don't think we would accept
> "contrib" packages as part of the "Debian GNU/Linux distribution" since
> this is what "main" is for. However, the packages will be treated, just as
> the name says, "contributions". (That is, we support these packages, etc.)

Aren't we gonna support non-free packages the same way?

So, if DFSG-compliant contrib would not be considered as a part of
"Debian/GNU Linux distribution" or will not be present on the "Official
CD" I don't see a single reason to have contrib/non-free distinction.

Alex Y.

--
   _
 _( )_