Re: Deity project schedule problems

From: Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net>
> Second: I disagree with Bruce, that the Diety group was (or even could be)
> being held to a schedule.
> Putting deadline ultimatums before folks who are overloaded at the moment
> has pretty predictable results, and they don't seem to be desirable to me.

It wasn't an ultimatum. Jason and I discussed it and agreed that it was
still possible. Jason didn't get upset about it the way Brian did.

> To Bruce: I have gotten clear signals from you in the past that the
> hardest part of your job is dealing with the lack of repect that you are
> forced to put up with from various individuals. Your behaviour in this
> thread is an excelent example of that kind of disrespect. I know I didn't
> see the preliminary private communications that "boiled your pot", and I
> don't really care much about that, but your first (opening) posting to
> this thread was argumentative, agressive, and not very professional. One
> of your responsibilities as "our leader" is to present a "good example" to
> the rest of the group. If I had to judge from this thread, I would be
> forced to give you failing marks.

OK. I confess. I am behaving this way because I think Brian's not right
for the job, and I've felt that way for at least half a year. Not right
for the job of V.P. Engineering, and not right for the job of Deity
manager.  I have made my reasons clear - he doesn't "get" the free
software thing, and the closed Deity organization he insisted on is not
the way Debian works. I tolerated this, uneasily, as long as I thought
he was getting something done.  Then I found him asleep at the wheel on
Deity. So far, I've refrained from asking him to resign from the V.P.
position or from the management position of Deity. I really think I
should remove him, but I'm waiting for any other alternatives to play
out before I do that. Maybe he'll get back to work.

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502