Re: Deity project schedule problems

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 97 12:17 PDT
From: Bruce Perens <bruce@debian.org>
To: Bruce Perens <bruce@debian.org>, Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com>
Cc: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com>,
    debian-private@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Deity project schedule problems

From: Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com>
> What I have a problem with is that you decided to take matters into your own
> hand.

It was necessary. Make your decision, along with your team, by Wednesday.
Deity is part of Debian, or it is a project with no customer.

	Thanks

	Bruce Perens
	Debian Project Leader
--

Sounds like an ultimatum to me.

> > To Bruce: I have gotten clear signals from you in the past that the
> > hardest part of your job is dealing with the lack of repect that you are
> > forced to put up with from various individuals. Your behaviour in this
> > thread is an excelent example of that kind of disrespect. I know I didn't
> > see the preliminary private communications that "boiled your pot", and I
> > don't really care much about that, but your first (opening) posting to
> > this thread was argumentative, agressive, and not very professional. One
> > of your responsibilities as "our leader" is to present a "good example" to
> > the rest of the group. If I had to judge from this thread, I would be
> > forced to give you failing marks.
>
> OK. I confess. I am behaving this way because I think Brian's not right
> for the job, and I've felt that way for at least half a year.

"Mommy, Brian made me say those nasty things!" doesn't sound like mature
behaviour.

>                                                                Not right
> for the job of V.P. Engineering, and not right for the job of Deity
> manager.

Then why give him the job? As one who reported to him in the past, in my
task as testing coordinator, I can find no fault with his work.

>               I have made my reasons clear -

Until this posting that has not been true. Look, I appreciate the open
honesty your current post seems to be expressing (I think you have finally
expressed your personal vexation) but I can't appreciate your logic.

>                                               he doesn't "get" the free
> software thing,

I know! You and I and Brian (and others?) have discussed this very issue
several times. I can only say, "So what!".

>                 and the closed Deity organization he insisted on is not
> the way Debian works.

That sounds pretty funny, given the list that this thread is being posted
to ;-)
I firmly believe that there are "good reasons" for debian-private to
exist, and yet don't consider the existance of this list as an indicator
that Debian has a closed development model.
I don't see the closed list for Deity as being that kind of indicator
either. The group has published work as it has come to stages of
completion and asked for feedback on that work. There is a published
design spec (something almost unheard of for a Debian project) for the new
gui, and, although I have only given it a cursory once over, it seems to
speak to the task at hand.

>                        I tolerated this, uneasily, as long as I thought
> he was getting something done.

How kind of you...

>                               Then I found him asleep at the wheel on
> Deity.

This is an interesting concept, but I don't know what it has to do with
the current situation.

>        So far, I've refrained from asking him to resign from the V.P.
> position or from the management position of Deity. I really think I
> should remove him, but I'm waiting for any other alternatives to play
> out before I do that.

Which alternatives are those?

By the time this posting hits the list you will have demanded, gotten, and
probably accepted Brian's resignation. I am reduced to saying, simply,
"This is just stupid!". Attacking Brian because he is not a "true
believer", by implying his work has been so sub-standard as to be
criminal, is political excrement unworthy of you.

>                           Maybe he'll get back to work.

And stop beating his wife as well? Ignoring the contribution of others
doesn't make the contribution go away.

All volunteers on this project has "slipped" at one time or the other.
Personally I have been promising Brian a testing report for over two
weeks, and have been unable to find the time to produce it for him. If
this is "falling asleep at the wheel" then you probably should fire all of
us.

Waiting is,

Dwarf