Re: bruce and brian

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
> i agree, that the way deity is managed could be improved, but all we
> can do is write friendly mails, offer help, joind the deity team.

That's just the point---you *can't* join the diety team.  You can't
read the mailing list.  You can't see the code.  Try.

Mind you, I think one argument that's been presented here is quite
specious: Debian already depends on software that we have no control
over.  Look at our base system---except for dpkg, none of it is
"controlled" by Debian.

We are able to do this, though, because the managers of those packages
have a shared goal in mind---to reproduce the standard unix utilities.
If they suddenly decided to take a different tack, and 'find' was
rewritten to duplicate MS-DOS' find we would not upgrade, I suspect.

However, given that our package manager is a large part of our
identity---a point proven over and over again when Bruce has suggested
moving to RPM---is not unreasonable for the Debian project as a whole,
to assert the right of oversight over any project that is to be the
primary package manager for the system.

If the Diety people are content to always be second-string behind
dpkg/dselect, then there is no conflict.

> i don't agree with bruce. he is unfriendly, behaves like a dictator.
> he has lost all trust i had in him, and he cannot represent me with
> such behavior.

While I might agree that Bruce has not always expressed himself well,
I think his reasoning is sound.

> everyone one should think about how these two people behaved.  if
> you get to the same conclusion, then debian should decide now and
> here, if we want bruce or brian.

Why must you force people to choose?

Mike.