Re: Brian and me

>   If, Bruce, we are to be guided at all by the apology of your
> preceding message, then Debian is in great peril. It was only few
> months ago that we voted on the form of government for Debian  and
> we decided a one-man dictatorship with annual elections.
> It was not the dictatorship of the masses. It was not the rule of the
> many, or the inference that decisions will be taken by the
> loudest of voices that happen to pass at the moment.
> Surely, it is not because we lack leaders, for, thank God, we have in
> infinite supply around here. You are stronger than all these Bruce,
> for if not, you will have to look us straight in the eye and tell us that
> we are incapable to follow any leader that we elected. This I trust to be
> the case.

Bruce is basically right.  Debian cannot be let.  It can only be nudged
in certain directions.

For Debian to be truely led, all politics would have to be layed aside and
things done according to the wishes of the leader.  Many people would get
pissed off and leave, but overall things would be much cleaner.  This would
be my preference except for one major point:  The leader will change.  Thus,
every time the leader changes, Debian will be pulled in the direction that
leader takes place.  If the leader changes frequently (every year or so),
then the net result is the same "nudging" with the added detriment of having
pissed of a whole lot of people.

> In contrast in Debian the situation is different. Like I said, in the
> whorehouse everyone knows their role and all of them follow it.
> In Debian, unfortunately, EVERYONE does ANYTHING they like. And above all, as
> is most often the case, nobody else knows their roles, for they are whatever
> they declare to be at the moment: sometimes a soldier, in other days an
> nco, an officer, a captain, a general, or nato chief. And there have been
> cases were some have assumed the most powerful role of all and become the
> cook :)

Well, if you build a whorehouse with 200 girls that each have to depend
on or work with a half-dozen of the other girls (chosen at random at the
beginning and changing every so often) and no control structure, you'll
also have a mad house.

>    This is the situation and we all know it very well. Why is it so
> difficult to let the rulers rule until the next election ?

Because nobody wants to listen.  Since people are volunteering their time,
they feel they have some right to decide how it gets used.  They only want
a leader when he/she follows their wishes.

                                          Brian
                                 ( bcwhite@verisim.com )