Re: deity source

Hi,
>>"Brian" == Brian White <bcwhite@verisim.com> writes:

>> > That's just the point---you *can't* join the diety team.  You
>> can't read the mailing list.  You can't see the code.  Try.

Brian> No, you can't join the team and yes, this is intentional.
Brian> We've already had a couple people who made commitments back out
Brian> of the project.  If it was full open, then we'd have 10 times
Brian> that number.  Sure, there might be more people actively
Brian> working, but the disruption of people coming in for a few weeks
Brian> and then losing interest would be horrendous.

	Sorry, this is not convincing (it does not even make sense to
 me). If I make more money, I'll spend more, so I should restrict my
 income and spend less? If I make more money, I'll pay higher taxes,
 so I should make less money?

	If more people had joined, firstly, there would not have come
 the point that only one person was working. Secondly, with lower wrok
 loads, maybe the tendency of people to leave would be lower. Maybe,
 more work would get done.

	I think that at least the design phase would have benefited
 from a more open process. Sure, it would have been mayhem for a
 month, but the design would have been open to a greater degree of
 peer review, and I think that the design would have been better.

	Mind you, I agree that too many cooks may well spoil the
 broth, but the number is probably closer to the participants in the
 open design debating madhouses than the number of people on the Deity
 team. The sheer chaos of the design debates is manageable; we do tend
 to reach, if not a consensus, a short list options which could then
 be implemented by Deity.

	As to the argument of the time being consumed in a design open
 to semi-public critique, the Deity project is already sufficiently
 behind schedule to mitigate the relevance of that argument.

	manoj

--
 "He who flames improperly risks making an ash of himself!" Jeff
 Klumpp (jdk@ficc.uu.net)