Re: Debian + KDE disk

Hello!

It's very likely that the Debian distribution on the KDE CD is based
on my idea. So I will tell you something more about the background.

The german bookstores from JF Lehmanns operate as self standing profit
center. The bookstore in Berlin has produced the first Debian
Double-CD in Germany (I was responsible for the german installation
manual included with the CDs). We've made our own images and put as
many as possible on the CD, including the stuff from non-free. For the
next CD-Set we are thinking about more CDs, so we can put the
extensions on an extra CD. We will be able to include the online
version of a german Linux Book (Linux Anwenderhandbuch) and the trial
(but not expiring) version of the commercial browser available for
Linux.

The benefit from the existing Double CD-Set for Debian/SPI is greater
recognition in Germany, including descriptions in news magazines and
so on.  JF Lehmanns provides a german speaking mailing list with a
fast response time for every local Debian user. And last not least SPI
gets some money.

The bookstore in Hamburg has good connections to the KDE team. So they
become a sponsor of the first meeting of the KDE developers KDEone in
N"urnberg. Afterwards they decided to produce a KDE CD.

Hearing that, I thought that there's much space left on that CD that
can be used to bring Debian to people that had never heard before from
Debian but knows KDE. So my hope is that we get some more users with
the KDE CD. When they are using Debian they will also become aware of
our principles.

So far as *I* know:
It is planned to sell the CD for 15 DM and to contribute from that
price 2,50 DM to KDE and 2,50 DM to SPI.

KDE is a real good thing for Linux to compete against the windows
desktop. At the moment it is free enough and we can work for a more
free version in the meanwhile. I think it's an analogon between Linux
and the Hurd. The latter is the better one but the first works
*today*. On the long term we will see.

Hope it helps to clarify the situation.

Bye
  Christian