Re: Debian + KDE disk

Bruce Perens wrote:
> From: "Eloy A. Paris" <eparis@ven.ra.rockwell.com>
> > I wish Bruce had asked here before telling him "I really wish you
> > would not do that". We are talking about something that can affect
> > how others see the project.
>
> I am at the LISA show in San Diego today, and when I meet with Caldera at 4, I will be
> telling them about our free software guidelines and why it is a bad idea for them to
> continue to use Qt in GPL-ed software. Red Hat already agrees with us on this issue.
> The outcome of this is going to be some strong commercial support for KDE alternatives.
> So here I am doing my best to obsolete their project and you expect me to say "go ahead,
> include Debian on the KDE CD, we love it"?

Most people seem to agree with your intentions, and simply object to your approach.
One thing that would help is if you separated your personal feelings from your
position as president. Bruce the individual can say whatever he wants about
KDE and the inclusion of it on CDs with Debian, but Bruce the president
has to be much more careful. There is simply little basis for Debian to allow
commercial software to be bundled with it by 3rd parties yet object in the
case of KDE.

If you had said instead, 'Personally, I object to this because...' most of
the objections would go away.

- Jay