Re: Debian + KDE disk

 Bruce> From: Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org>
 >> I am horrified by some of the dogmatic and ideological reactions I
 >> have seen. Such actions (as Bruce's response) are a PR catastrophe
 >> and do great harm to the Debian Project.

 Bruce> I am free to express my views on the lists in a polite manner,
 Bruce> Christoph. Please don't object to that.

If I read correctly his objection was not to you expressing your views
on the lists.  I'm all for that.  It was saying things to person(s)
who were going to put out the derived distribution that not everyone
(myself included) agreed with.

I understand that as the leader of debian you have broad powers to
communicate/deal with other distributions/etc, but IMO and Christoph's
it seems.  This is one issue that should probably be discussed before
you go and tell someone that `we would much prefer you not use our
wonderful distribution because you don't have the same agenda as us'.

I'm all for free software, and where available I use it, but I've
bought applixware for my wife because there is no free alternative.
Likewise at the moment there is no free alternative for KDE.  Nothing
is even close to it in usability.

I think distributors that want to add their own proprietary additions
to a debian distribution should be commended for picking the best
distribution to use.  Just because they use our distribution does not
mean we are now supporting a proprietary program or two.  It means
that we have produced the best distribution and even commercial
software vendors agree.

So why are we complaining?  And why do we object?  We still only
support free software in main, and that is how it should be.

Jim (speaking up for the first time in nine months)

--
@James LewisMoss <dres@dimensional.com> |  Blessed Be!
@    http://www.dimensional.com/~dres   |  Linux is cool!