Re: Debian + KDE disk

On 28 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Christoph" == Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:
>
> Christoph> It should be promoted and supported by us especially since
> Christoph> this is a chance to make Debian mainstream. They are even
> Christoph> supporting us financially!
>
> 	It is making us mainstream? It is making us more money? That
>  is why it should be supported? These sound like Microsofts goals
>  (bless them), rather than Debian's. I do not want us to make more
>  money, really, or even be popular, at the expense of freedom of
>  software.
>
> Christoph> I am horrified by some of the dogmatic and ideological
> Christoph> reactions I have seen.
>
> 	And I am appalled at the callous disregard of the tenets of a
>  *Free* Linux distribution that I see. So we differ in our opinions.
>
> Christoph> Such actions (as Bruce's response) are a PR catastrophe and
> Christoph> do great harm to the Debian Project. Who wants to cooperate
> Christoph> with Debian given such inflexible views? The ugly year-old
> Christoph> prejudices against Debian get confirmed it seems.
>
> 	Nobidy said that supporting free software was gonna be
>  easy. 'Tis oft a lonely road we tread ...
>
> Christoph> The issue of the non-freeness of Qt will go away in one
> Christoph> form or another given enough popular use by software.
>
> 	Enough popular use is how we decide what is OK? Guess which OS
>  has the most copies out there? Is popularity of software to decide
>  how we comport ourselves?
>
> Christoph> The same thing happened to other Linux software
> Christoph> packages. Be patient and let us use the opportunities we
> Christoph> have instead of blocking the way for others.
>
> 	Sorry. Blurring our stance is starting us down a very slippery
>  slope.

While this argument is somewhat interesting, it has gotten far from the
main point that Christoph has been trying to make. (If I understand)

Slippery slopes aside, Debian is a "Free Software" distribution. Our
guidelines make clear our support of folks who wish to bundle Debian with
"some other, potentially proprietary, software", using Debian as the
starting point for a system that "supports" their product.

While I can appreciate the difficulty. We need to make a clear distinction
between our disagreements with an individual and their rights to use our
product.

I support "The KDE Group" using Debian as the GNU/Linux system that
supports their desktop product. This is part of our social contract.

The Freedom of the Debian Distribution is secure because it can not be
restricted, even if we find ourselves in complete disagreement with the
license of products being used/sold with it. The right to use the software
can not be used as a "political" club to gain submission to our desires.

With almost any other name on the software, to be associated with Debian,
and I'm sure that Bruce would have seen this as a victory for Debian. Used
as the basis of a "value added" distribution, has been a long time goal. I
guess this is a case of "be careful what you wish for". Personally I
prefer to see this as a positive event.

Waiting is,

Dwarf