Re: Debian + KDE disk

Hi,
>>"Christoph" == Christoph Lameter <clameter@waterf.org> writes:

Christoph> It should be promoted and supported by us especially since
Christoph> this is a chance to make Debian mainstream. They are even
Christoph> supporting us financially!

	It is making us mainstream? It is making us more money? That
 is why it should be supported? These sound like Microsofts goals
 (bless them), rather than Debian's. I do not want us to make more
 money, really, or even be popular, at the expense of freedom of
 software.

Christoph> I am horrified by some of the dogmatic and ideological
Christoph> reactions I have seen.

	And I am appalled at the callous disregard of the tenets of a
 *Free* Linux distribution that I see. So we differ in our opinions.

Christoph> Such actions (as Bruce's response) are a PR catastrophe and
Christoph> do great harm to the Debian Project. Who wants to cooperate
Christoph> with Debian given such inflexible views? The ugly year-old
Christoph> prejudices against Debian get confirmed it seems.

	Nobidy said that supporting free software was gonna be
 easy. 'Tis oft a lonely road we tread ...

Christoph> The issue of the non-freeness of Qt will go away in one
Christoph> form or another given enough popular use by software.

	Enough popular use is how we decide what is OK? Guess which OS
 has the most copies out there? Is popularity of software to decide
 how we comport ourselves?

Christoph> The same thing happened to other Linux software
Christoph> packages. Be patient and let us use the opportunities we
Christoph> have instead of blocking the way for others.

	Sorry. Blurring our stance is starting us down a very slippery
 slope.

	manoj

--
 We should all remember when Burroughs was using Virtual memory it was
 said to be some kind of technical joke.  But later, hah, it was said