Re: Debian + KDE disk

Hi,
>>"Andreas" == Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:

Andreas> On Tue 28 Oct 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:
>> So here I am doing my best to obsolete their project and you expect
>> me to say "go ahead, include Debian on the KDE CD, we love it"?

Andreas> you can change something if you do it yourself, or work
Andreas> together with others to change it.

	Huh? You can pay other to change it. You can convince others
 to change it. You can coerce others to changer it. You can blackmail
 tohers to change it. The methods vary in practicality,
 legality. morality, expedience, cost, and timelyness, but they
 exist. Statements like this seem to sound good, (latin is great for
 pithy remarks, but have little validity.

	Gandhi proved the validity of boycott as a tool for effecting
 change. You may not like it, but do not say it does not work, without
 being prepared to defend the statement.

Andreas> i don't have the time to create my own desktop environment,
Andreas> but i work with the kde people, and with kooperation, thwy
Andreas> might listen somedays to my emails about the flaws of qt. i
Andreas> still hope, that the kde team will handle the qt problem.

	Sorry, I do not buy this. Let us promote something
 undesirable, so that one day they may like us enough to change is a
 bad idea (oh, exceptions exist, but I don't think this is an
 exception).

	Promoting non-free software is tempting, but I prefer us not
 to give in this easily.

Andreas> back to the main question : in my humble opinion, you have a
Andreas> better chance to change things thru cooperation, than thru
Andreas> competition and/or war.

	I do not think so. Their goals are different, and they may not
 wish to change the licence. We, of all people, should respect
 that. In my opinion, we should either get KDE to use gtk, or look at
 something else as our desktop.

	manoj
--
 Marriage is the sole cause of divorce.