Re: qt license

On Thu 30 Oct 1997, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:
>
> > Here are parts of the newest license for qt1.31 from
> > http://www.troll.no/qt/license.html. The only restriction is commercial
> > use. Otherwise it is quite similar to other free licenses. It even forces
> > other components to be free.
>
> I count two others..
>
> > The Qt toolkit is a product of Troll Tech AS. This license is limited to
> > use with the X Window System.
>
> 1) Unacceptable to limit use of the source code to X windows only

hey, they could remove the windows specific code, and then remoce that
restriction.

> > You may copy this version of the Qt toolkit provided that the entire
> > archive is distributed unchanged and as a whole, including this notice.
>
> 2) Unacceptable to prohibit modification

oh, many programs don't allow to distribute modified source, and require
binaires from modified source to be marked that way.

> > the following conditions also apply:
> >
> >        Your software must not require libraries, programs, data or
> > documentation that are not available outside your organization in order to
> >        compile or use.
>
> I don't think this is acceptable either.

why not ? this clause is very similiar to some restrictions in the gpl,
if i remember correctly. "not available" says nothing about being freely
available ...

> So there are 3 (possibly 4) statements in the license which violate the
> DFSG. The 2nd one definately prevents it from being 'free' software.

i agree, that there is a problem.
said thing : removing the windows related code, and only shipping the
x11 related code (there must be a special layer somewhere, i think)
would remove one problem.

and the other proplem : did anyone give troll a detailed report, how we
see it ? maybe they will change some things, if we explain the problems
we have without the "holy war" things. did anyone try ? i don't think so.

i don't understand the problem with the last paragraph, that everything
needed to run the program must be available. with wich of our 9
guidlines does it conflict ? btw "available" does neither mean "freely
available" nor "available as source". i understand this as "there must
be a away to run your software". can you construct a case, where this
clause is a problem ? i can't think of one.

andreas