Re: qt license

From: Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de>
> hey, they could remove the windows specific code, and then remoce that
> restriction.

They have already been asked and will not. The restriction is there to
protect their revenue stream. They are a commercial company and their
income comes from selling the Qt toolkit.

> oh, many programs don't allow to distribute modified source, and require
> binaires from modified source to be marked that way.

Well, Debian's OK with changing the name of a modified program if the license
requires it, but we are definitely not OK with licenses that prohibit
modification.

I don't believe we can come to an accomodation with Troll Tech until
they put a straight GPL (or another acceptable license) on their library,
or until someone else comes out with a GPL-ed version, or until it is
obosleted by other software.

I went through the GTK tutorial yesterday. It's really quite good. I don't
know why anyone would be interested in Qt in contrast to GTK.

	Thanks

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502