Re: qt license

bruce@pixar.com (Bruce Perens) writes:

> I went through the GTK tutorial yesterday. It's really quite good. I don't
> know why anyone would be interested in Qt in contrast to GTK.

I can't say anything about why anyone would choose Qt over GTk since I
don't know GTk, though I would imagine it's partially the "Qt was
there first" problem, but I can say that GTk is quite nice, it sure is
nice to be able to say

  gdkimage = gdk_image_new(GDK_IMAGE_FASTEST,
                            gtk_widget_get_visual(_w),
                            img.width() * pixel_size,
                            img.height() * pixel_size);
  image_widget = gtk_image_new(gdkimage, NULL);

and have it worry about whether or not the given X connection supports
shared memory, or a given depth, and have it set up all those tedious
exposure callbacks for you.  And then you just change the image later
with:

  gtk_image_set(GTK_IMAGE(image_widget), some_other_gdkimage, NULL);

Not that everyone needs images, but GTk makes them pretty easy to
handle when you do.  It also has a *really* nice color picker
auto-dithered display widget.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>