Re: qt license

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> Here are parts of the newest license for qt1.31 from
> http://www.troll.no/qt/license.html. The only restriction is commercial
> use. Otherwise it is quite similar to other free licenses. It even forces
> other components to be free.

I count two others..

> The Qt toolkit is a product of Troll Tech AS. This license is limited to
> use with the X Window System.

1) Unacceptable to limit use of the source code to X windows only

> You may copy this version of the Qt toolkit provided that the entire
> archive is distributed unchanged and as a whole, including this notice.

2) Unacceptable to prohibit modification

> If you are paid to develop something with Qt or it is a part of your job
> the following conditions also apply:
>
>        Your software must not require libraries, programs, data or
> documentation that are not available outside your organization in order to
>        compile or use.

I don't think this is acceptable either.

So there are 3 (possibly 4) statements in the license which violate the
DFSG. The 2nd one definately prevents it from being 'free' software.

This actually reminds me of the 'old' (is it really different) license and
doesn't address any of the problems we had with it originally.

Jason