Re Requirements for building "free" software

A word of caution here: There are packages in the Debian
Distribution that require a commercial compiler to build but which are
under the GPL. Those have traditionally been considered as ok for the main
distribution. The most prominent among these is syslinux without which you
would not be able to install your Debian distribution.

I think this is just another example of ideology beginning to take over
instead of reason. Please keep things open and as free and flexible as
possible. I hate things being put into a straightjacket. Force them here,
force them there all in the name of FREEDOM! Can it get more screwy?