Re: Re Requirements for building "free" software

From: Christoph Lameter <chris@waterf.org>
> A word of caution here: There are packages in the Debian
> Distribution that require a commercial compiler to build but which are
> under the GPL. Those have traditionally been considered as ok for the main
> distribution. The most prominent among these is syslinux without which you
> would not be able to install your Debian distribution.

We are aware of the SysLinux problem. If it is not possible to translate
it to one of our other assemblers, it's time to abandon the program in favor
of one of the three or four alternatives to it.

> I think this is just another example of ideology beginning to take over
> instead of reason.

It is for reason that we take the course we have taken. I don't feel you
have shown much reason in your messages on this subject, in fact you've
refused to argue on a logical level when that opportunity has been presented
to you. I tire of the repetition. You can get the three or four people who
are interested in changing the Social Contract and the DFSG and spawn your
own derived distribution if you like. We aren't interested.

	Thanks

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502