Re: The "free software community" does not include Linus

On Mon, Nov 03, 1997 at 01:25:37PM -0700, Gerald John Lapeyre, Jr. wrote:
> 	Perhaps the religious metaphors reinforce the negative stereotypes
> that the uninitiated have of us,  but explaining why free software is a
> great thing (including larger implications) is obviously a much needed
> activity.

I'd be interested to know how the free software idea came about.
For example, why software? Why are people willing to spend hours
writing software and just give it away? Why only software?
I look around the web at electronics & ham radio sites,
and in a lot of cases (in ham stuff especially) people
are all too willing to sell you a kit, but not to give away
the design. There are very few free circuit designs on the web
compared to free software! So why are we willing to give our software
away?

Unfortunately I'm in the confusing position where I am a student,
enjoying working on Debian and free software in general,
but at the same time I work part time as a director in a company
writing commercial software on Win32. While I like the Free Software
world domination stories, those same ideals could put me out of a job .. :-)

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.