Re: giving money to gnome

> > Fine, but you have to admit that you're also helping GNOME "against" KDE
> > with money we get due to our distribution being on a KDE CD!
> > Ever thought, that gestures can be powerful insults as well? And we're
> > making one hell of a gesture here.
> The Lehman sales are donating half of its donation (poor wording, but
> you'll get the point) to debian and the other half to KDE. Some have
> stated that it is an insult to not give our donation to KDE. Are KDE and
> Lehman affiliated (I didn't catch this at the start)?

>From what I gathered so far, the story goes like this (if it should be
wrong, somebody please correct it, as my comments are also based on this
understanding):
--- cut ---
 JF Lehmann is a bookshop who made a *KDE* CD and as a "sort of" bonus to
 the buyer, they also put a full Debian distribution on there. But still,
 primarily it is a KDE CD; I got confirmation, that KDE is on that CD in
 all tar.gz, rpm and deb formats, so the KDE part is not Debian specific!

 JF Lehmann decided, that they're going to give some money from each sold
 CD to KDE and to Debian (DM2.50 each per CD). JFL is not affiliated with
 either Debian or KDE.
--- cut ---

> 1) If they are affiliated, then why would Lehman/KDE give us money and
> expect us to give it back? That sounds more like an informal contract than
> a donation.

They aren't.

> 2) If they are not, then why would KDE be insulted at our choice of use
> for donations from Lehman? KDE knows our contract and policy (I am
> assuming) and therefore must realize we will always support free software
> first.

KDE people have a good reason to be insulted, since we are getting money
from JF Lehmann for a *KDE* CD that just happens to have a Debian
distribution on there as well. And now we are giving money, that we
wouldn't get without KDE to KDEs competitor -- and we're doing this
stating that we want to support a free toolkit (GTK).

> The only way I could ever see this as an insult is if KDE was putting
> their money towards the development of a free replacement library and we
> didn't try to help them out (that even seems thin to me).

This is not the case.

I wouldn't mind, if Debian were to give money from whatever source to
GNOME, *EXCEPT* if that other source is directly or indirectly a
competitor to GNOME. In this case, this money should be given to something
else - and there is still quite a bit left to do.

Actually, why not donate the money from that KDE disk to develop a
user friendlier version of dselect ?  That is something that Debian could
REALLY use. Otherwise, if we're stating we want to support a free toolkit,
then please, don't do it indirectly (by giving money to GNOME), but rather
do it DIRECTLY (by giving money to GTK!).

   Benedikt

Windows 95: n.
    32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit
    operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,  written
         by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.