Re: giving money to gnome

>>>>> "RB" == Richard Braakman <dark@xs4all.nl> writes:

    RB: I agree that supporting GNOME is a good thing, but I don't see
    RB: the link with the KDE CD.  Let's turn the thing around: why
    RB: would our level of (financial) support for GNOME depend on how
    RB: well the KDE CD sells?

Exactly.  And thank you Richard for this summary.

    CS: sometimes a principle is more important than being meekly
    CS: polite.

I think to be polite and diplomatic is very important.  Is it more
important for us the reputation of nice standard bearers and respect of
wide free software community or the reputation of brave warriors?

If I understand well, we could just support Gnome without any connection
and mentioning the Debian+KDE CD.  If we did so and didn't say anything
about money from this CD (*), then:
1. KDE people needn't feel insulted by our statements.
2. This useless flamewar wouldn't arise.
3. Our donations to the Gnome team didn't depend on Debian+KDE sales
   (directly).
I think all the three differences are *good* differences and nothing
more would happen.

We needn't make any step back out of our principles.  We needn't change
any real action.  We just could use another words, which should be
rather easy.  When you walk into someone staying in your way, you
usually say few words and go in your direction anyway.  Is it so hard to
use words "Excuse me that I pushed you, please." instead of "Fuck, why
are you staying here, you idiot?".  What will other walkers think about
you in these two cases, eh?

I'm really tired of these non-free software flamewars.  I think some
change in our rhetoric could mean better profit for free software than
any donations to Gnome.

Thank you.

Milan Zamazal

(*) I suppose these donations are for Debian, so this is our money
without any connection to KDE and so we needn't to comment it.  If you
think this is dirty money (from the last discussion I don't think so)
and we need to apologize for it ("we give all this to Gnome"), then this
is dirty money as Ian described, and we shouldn't take them at all.