Re: Sources of Donation

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> my problem currenly is :
> if you look at bruce mails, you think that kde is non-free.
> this is a lie : our definition of free (DFSG) marks kde as free.

Well, maybe you can read that into his statements, but I can't. Bruce has
been very clear about what our problems are with KDE and none of what he
has said is a lie.

> kde is not useable for debian (social contract #1 and policy:contrib),
> but "not usable" is very different from "not free".

Well, I don't think so. "Usability" is what software freedom is all about.
While I admit that most of the components of KDE do qualify as free
software, its dependence on the non-free library creates complications for
its distribution and makes it less than free. (contrib is still not DFSG
compliant because of non-free dependencies. That is why it is there)

> i don't thing, that bruce only made a mistake, but he continues to
> state things. he is clever : if people talk about kde, he sais
> "we will support gnome, because it is free software."

I don't see any reason that he can't "state things" and his cleverness is
an asset to the project. What he says about GNOME is both correct and
acceptable to me. I don't draw broad inferences from the statements of
others because it is a good way to misunderstand intent.

> so people get the fealing that kde is non-free.

As a package it is definitely less than free.

> that's the sort of provocations, that i don't want to hear.

Sorry, but we have specific goals for Debian, and KDE has made it clear
that they do not support those goals to the degree that we would desire. I
don't see any overstepped boundaries here.

> please correct me, if i'm wrong.

Consider yourself corrected ;-)

Luck,

Dwarf